- AERO (The Alternative Education Resource Organization) (Roslyn Heights, New York) - "is a non-profit organization founded in 1989 by education expert Jerry Mintz to advance learner-centered approaches to education. AERO is considered by many to be the primary hub of communications and support for educational alternatives around the world."
- Alpine Valley School (Edgewater, Colorado)
- Alternative Learning Organization (Netherlands) - "provides 3 major websites to help parents and the young toward a more natural learning environment, away from schools."
- Cafe Progressive: Education, Politics, Community, Resources - "is a progressive launchpad and a thriving independent and alternative community of progressive resources and ideas for teachers and educators, political activists, multicultural students and citizens."
- Campaign for Free Education (UK)
- The Center for Interim Programs - "Founded in 1980, with offices in Massachusetts and New Jersey, the Center for INTERIM Programs is the first, and longest running, counseling service of its kind to be established in the United States. INTERIM offers individuals of all ages and backrounds the opportunity to explore different areas of interest via a personally tailored, experience-based format."
- Citizens' Campaign for Commercial-Free Schools - "is a statewide grassroots, nonprofit organization based in Seattle, Washington. Our mission: Protecting the right of Washington children and youth to a commercial-free education."
- Class Size Matters - " is an organization of parents, teachers, and others, dedicated to the goal of reducing class size in New York City public schools."
- Clonlara School (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- The Critical Thinking Community (Sonoma State University)
- Education International -- "the world's largest educators' federation representing 24 million members through its 296 member organisations."
- ed-u.com: Your Start Page for Education (UK) - "s a huge education resource that has moved all of the Web addresses that you will ever need, to just one address - and we are continually adding colossal amounts of searchable information."
- Findhorn College
- Freedom School of Southern New Jersey, Inc.
- The Global Network Academy (Austin, Texas) - " is dedicated to the promote access to educational opportunities for anybody, anywhere. To do this, GNA pioneers and develops distance learning relationships and facilities for the worldwide public to use. GNA's tools are created under the open-source, copyleft philosophy, and we encourage others to copy our products and build upon them in the spirit of the open source community."
- Goddard College (Plainfield, Vermont)
- Great Ideas in Education - "is the joint website of Holistic Education Press, Psychology Press, and the publishing division of the Foundation for Educational Renewal."
- Homeschool World - "The official site of Practical Homeschooling magazine and The Big Book of Home Learning."
- Instituto Paulo Friere, Brasil
- Jon's Homeschool Resources -- One of the oldest and largest homeschooling sites on the Web by a homeschooling dad.
- The Meeting School (Rindge, New Hampshire)
- National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools (NCACS) - " is a nonprofit educational organization. Since 1978, the Coalition has supported the work of students, parents, teachers and others in the field of alternative education, while informing the general public about its benefits and successes."
- National Homeschool Association (Hartland, Michigan)
- National Homeschool Research Institute
- The New School of Northern Virginia
- New School University (New York City)
- Paulo Friere
- Progressive Education Network of New York (PENNY) - "It was started by principals, directors, teachers and parents in alternative and small progressive schools and programs in the City of New York. Its purpose is to develop a strong voice for progressive public education and to fight for conditions that will support the work done in our schools."
- Progressive Network Academy - "is a democratic, student centered educational program for children K-12. Physical locations vary and can be located in offices or homes. Furthermore, this educational program can be used in lieu of or to supplement public education. Additionally, Progressive Network Academy can be used for students with special needs, including giftedness, as an alternative school. Programs vary from location to location; however, the philosophy remains the same: Children learn naturally and when given democratic responsibility for their education and a culturally literate foundation, they thrive academically."
- Puget Sound Community School
- The Putney [Vermont] School
- Radical Pedagogy : An Interdisciplinary, Peer-Reviewed Journal Devoted to the Analysis of Teaching and Learning
- Radical Teacher : a socialist, feminist, and anti-racist journal on the theory and practice of teaching - "is an independent magazine for educational workers at all levels and in every kind of institution. The magazine focuses on critical teaching practice, the political economy of education, and instutitional struggles."
- radical teacher - " exists to bring alternative understandings and, more important, alternative practices to undergraduate teaching."
- Rethinking Schools (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) - "began as a local effort to address problems such as basal readers, standardized testing, and textbook-dominated curriculum. Since its founding in 1986, it has grown into a nationally prominent publisher of educational materials, with subscribers in all 50 states, all 10 Canadian provinces, and many other countries."
- School of Living (Cochranville, Pennsylvania) -- Inspired by Ralph Barsodi, the School of Living "is an educational organization dedicated to learning and teaching the philosophy, practices and principles of living that are self-empowering for individuals within the general aim of establishing decentralized, ecologically-sound, self-governed and humane communities. All its resources, but most specifically the land it holds in trust, are held in responsible stewardship for present and future generations."
- Socialist Teachers Alliance (UK) - "was founded in 1976 to campaign for socialist policies within the National Union of Teachers. Since then it has grown considerably and the majority of members are active in local NUT associations and divisions."
- The Sudbury Valley School (Framingham, Massachusetts)
- Teachers for a Democratic Culture (Philadelphia) - "is a coalition of academics committed to preserving education as a force for social change and as a site for cultural pluralism."
- Waldorf FAQ's
Please Email Them
to Jay's Leftist and 'Progressive' Internet Resources Directory